Saturday, January 26, 2013

These Are a the Days We Will Remember

Well, here I am up at 4:00 am on Saturday, January 26, 2013. Any other Saturday, being up this early would be a crime, and for most everyone else in the world this is just another day, but not for me! Today is the day that I start living my dream. I'm not sure the exact time or circumstance when this dream was planted in my heart, but it's been a part of me for as long as I can remember. In about an hour, I get to wake my family up and start a brand new chapter. A chapter and an adventure that will change our
lives forever.

Aiden asked me so sweetly yesterday why I wanted to go to Japan. I told him that it had always been my dream to be able to travel and see different parts of the world. Then he asked the most perfect question with such curiosity and sincerity, he said, "Well how did you get your dream to come true?" I suddenly felt like the luckiest person in the whole world. There I was getting to have a conversation with my child about how I have been able to live my dream. This is a conversation that I never had with my mom, and I am sure she didn't have with hers. I chose my words carefully because somehow I felt like what I was about to share with him could be the seeds that plant a dream in his own heart.

I told him all the people that have helped me along my journey, the people that God gave me at just the right moment. I wanted him to know that I have been blessed with people who have seen possibility and potential in me, even when I couldn't see it in myself. These are the people who invested themselves in me, shared their gifts and passion, and inspired me to become better and stronger.

I told him that I had to work hard, and that I made a lot of hard choices and sacrifices. I wanted him to know that though I had people who believed in me, most importantly, I had to believe in myself. I had to know that all the choices that I was making were the right ones for me.

Finally, I told him about the two people that taught me that life is far too short not to dream big dreams. I told him how proud his Nanny and Pop would be of all of us. I know that they would be so proud of me for not only being offered this opportunity, but having the courage to accept it. I told him that they will be so proud of his dad for the sacrifices he is making so that we can all have this experience together, and that they would be so proud of him for his excitement and eagerness to try something new.

Oh, what I would give to know that they know what we are doing today! I couldn't have made it here without them.

To say that I am humbled by this opportunity is the understatement of the century. I honestly can't believe that someone believes that I have enough talent to share that is worth moving me and my family around the world to share it!

So, here I go living my dream!

2 comments:

Lee said...

Why aren't you updating your blog????

Lee said...

Ok, on a more serious note, this beautifully written post is a reminder to me that I, too, am living my dream and I don't believe my mom did. Not sure about her mom. But I have definitely lived a fortunate life.

Also, I can tell you that we feel very lucky to have you and your family here in Japan. I look forward to working with you the remainder of this school year and having delicious lunches and educational tweets and an intersect partner and not having to work with K teachers.